Saturday, February 2, 2008

Great Music, Great Food, Great Stationery


Jesse Harris performed Thursday at Decatur's historic Princess Theatre. Beforehand, Carl and I hosted a pre-show gathering at our home. We hope everyone who came had a nice evening and hope they'll check out future performances at the theatre. Harris is an amazing talent who has written for Norah Jones and Willie Nelson, among others. He won a Grammy for "Don't Know Why," the song that helped launch Jones' career. If you missed the show please check out his website and listen to his haunting ballads.




Friday I helped my dear friend Ashley Ashwander at her store The Paper Chase. She has such an amazing space. She carries the most adorable invitations and stationery and has lots of unique gifts. If you collect Vera Bradley luggage this is your spot. She has an entire section dedicated to the collection. I left with a set of wonderful Printess Douthit cards, the book, "This Little Piggy Went To Prada," (wait for an entire post dedicated to this fabulous book!) and ordered the cutest chocolate notecards displaying my initials. I hope she'll ask me back! I sure enjoyed the day.


That evening we celebrated friend John Penley's 30th birthday with dinner at Simp McGhee's Restaurant. Unfortunately, Carl couldn't be there because he was preparing for a deposition. He missed a fun time. Sue Ellen, John's wife, organized everything and there was quite a crowd. The meal, as always, was delicious. If you ever have the opportunity to dine at Simp's jump at it. I'd recommend the Chicken Speegle or Medallions of Beef Tenderloin. Carl's favorite is the lamb. Red Zeppelin Syrah is a great wine to pair with dinner.

No comments: