Sunday, February 24, 2008

Jazz at its Best

Last night Carl and I had a date at the Princess Theatre. Jazz vocalist Dianne Reeves performed and she was truly one of the most amazing acts I've ever seen. Her voice almost brought me to tears.


Reeves performed her own originals, as well as old favorites like "One for My Baby (and One More for the Road)," a song popularized by Frank Sinatra, and "Just My Imagination (Running Away With Me)" by The Temptations. Her improvisational skills are unmatched by anyone I've ever seen. She effortlessly inserted lyrics into her songs about being in Decatur and her delicious dinner at Curry's restaurant.


Reeves is a four-time Grammy winner, one of which she won in 2006 for best movie soundtrack for the film "Good Night and Good Luck," directed by George Clooney. She also performed in the film and last night told the audience a little about this experience...especially the part about working on set with Clooney.

Hopefully she'll be back soon and if she is Carl and I both recommend you see her perform.

1 comment:

Marianna said...

So glad y'all had a good time. Let's get together again soon...we did miss you saturday. I have to work all weekend...booo...talk to you soon!